Signs of Infertility in Men and Women

The most obvious sign of infertility is the inability for the couple to achieve pregnancy. The couple may not have any other symptoms or signs of infertility.

What actions should you take in case you suspect that something may be inhibiting pregnancy? What are the infertility signs and symptoms? What can I do to detect if I am experiencing infertility?

Infertility Symptoms

At times, some couples may not notice the obvious signs of infertility. About 90% of couples are likely to get pregnancy within the first few months of unprotected sexual intercourse. Many of the remaining 10% will either have children naturally later on or through medical aids like as IVF.

Some signs of infertility include:


  • Absent menstruation (amenorrhea)
  • Irregular menstrual cycles: Short (less than 21 days) or Long (over 35 days).
  • Mid-cycle bleeding
  • Very pale menstruation
  • Dysmenorrhea (painful menstruation)
  • Short menstruation time
  • Clotty or black/very dark purple menstruation

Hormonal Imbalance

Irregular menstrual cycles can be a sign of hormonal imbalance, or other fertility issues. The menstrual cycle will become irregular if any of the hormones are not at the right levels. Hormonal Imbalance may lead to various other health related issues that affect our general wellbeing such as thinning heart palpitations, hair, depression, low libido, etc.

Over the Age of 35

A decrease in fertility may be experienced by women over 35 may. The chances of a woman getting pregnant reduce as she grows older.



Most times, it is believed that infertility problems are usually caused by the female. This is not so. As a matter of fact, there is a possibility that the problem forms the male partner or might even be both partners. This is why it is often advisable to get infertility testing done by both partners.

Sperm count tests are the primary steps to determine if there is male factor infertility. A comprehensive semen analysis done by the doctor will help determine if there is hormonal Imbalance. Some of the common signs of hormonal imbalance in men include abnormal hair growth, low libido, and erectile dysfunction.

Erectile dysfunction is the inability of a man to maintain or sustain an erection during sexual activity. If erection cannot be maintained, ejaculation may not take place. Thus, infertility. This condition usually occurs in men above 40 years of age.

Other related health problems that can cause hormonal imbalance include low ovarian reserve, poor egg health, or abnormal immune response which can affect conception, thyroid issues, very low body weight, Poor Adrenal Health, Diabetes and Obesity, Cancer, Smoking, Alcoholism, Hypertension, Drug Addiction


If you have been trying to get pregnant for a year or more, or if you are above 35 of age, it is high time you visit a medical practitioner. It is very important to see a doctor if you notice any of the above-listed sign and symptoms of Hormonal Imbalance. While your gynecologist or family doctor may be able to offer some help with initial testing, additional testing from a Reproductive Immunologist or Reproductive Endocrinologist may be necessary.

In addition, it is very important for you to talk to your doctor about options related to your needs. Clear and direct communication with your doctor and any other qualified natural health care practitioners will help you in receiving the best care for your individual needs.

Leave a Reply